Wednesday, February 15, 2012

BEST DAY EVER

Only it wasn't really today, because I've been slacking. Nevertheless, you need to know about it.

I actually stressed about how to adequately communicate the utter awesomeness of this day. Let me break it down for you as best I can:

The day began at school. Remember my school? This dump.


Went to class. Had a lovely time. Nothing too miserable nor too exciting happened. After school I piled
into a bus full of my friends to head to a vineyard for a wine tasting. My first one ever!


















They say wine is an aphrodisiac. Some of us were more affected than others. 
(Brian and Isela sittin' in a tree...)



Michael (Miki), Isela, Me

After our trip to the vineyard my compaƱeros and I were starving so we set out to find some Peruvian food, because some fatty (me) was dying to try it. Then things took a turn for the worst. Because none of the restaurants were open for dinner yet and we were starving, we were forced to go get a snack before dinner so that we (I) didn't kill anybody out of hunger. 

Naturally we got gelato and all members of our group managed to continue living until dinner time. 

Dinner was the aforementioned and heavily anticipated debut of peruvian food on my taste-buds. And I gotta tell you guys, it was one of the best dinners I've ever had in my life. The success of it all was as much about me as it was about Peruvian food itself. I hit it out of the ball park with my order on this particular night. Three words: Seco de vacuno. It is the most tender, delicious piece of beer/cilantro marinated beef I have ever had. And this is coming from someone who rarely eats meat outside of burgers and bacon. My only regret is that I don't have a photo of the masterpiece. 

I also gave my new acquaintance pisco sour another chance to woo me. Peruvians make their pisco sour with an egg white, lime, sugar and pisco, as opposed to the Chileans who go sans egg. Peru and Chile have a long-standing debate about in which country Pisco actually originated. Both countries have a town containing the name Pisco in some form. I surprised myself by choosing the peruvian version as my favorite of the two types I've tried. 

But it doesn't stop there! After dinner we went back to the ice cream shop and made friends with the employees! Allow me to be explicitly clear here: when I say "we made friends" I mean we exchanged names, cracked jokes, and even tossed around a "palabrota" (bad word) or two. This interaction ended with an invitation for a weekend trip. Gahh!!
It was a day of sunshine, laughter, deliciousness, and great company. Best one yet!



 
Happy girl.

(P.S. I learned that wine tasting is very, very fun)


No comments:

Post a Comment