Monday, September 10, 2012

The Source

What seems now like a very long time ago (July 14th to be exact), the source of my crazy, these fools:

 
came to visit me in South America. Just when school was out, my friends were starting to leave, and I thought I was ready to go home the Cook-Fords swooped in to rejuvenate my life. I am one of those unicorn kids that thinks my parents are the greatest things to happen since Wonderbread™. Their visit did not disappoint. 

We began with a tearful rendezvous at gate 16 of the Santiago airport. It's a pretty overwhelming feeling to be reunited with your favorite people on the planet after being away from them for 7 months. (Precautionary warning: I'm probably going to dissolve into a puddle of human upon getting home and getting to see all my friends and loved ones back in the Bay; mops, rain boots, and other things of the waterproof variety strongly recommended.)

The reunion took place against the scenic backdrop of smog and maroon triangle carpeting because we are departing immediately for Buenos Aires, Argentina.  It was all of our first time.


We rented an apartment in the San Telmo district of BA, and kicked off the trip with a FABULOUS dinner at Café Rivas.
apéritifs rule!
For anyone going to BA in the semi near future I highly recommend you stay in San Telmo. It's the oldest district in the city, the birth place of tango, and abundant in old european charm. Palermo Viejo and Palermo Soho are the business when it comes to shopping [Vogue named Buenos Aires an up-and-coming fashion capital back in, I think, 2007] but if you stay there 1) you'll never leave the area 2) you won't feel like you went anywhere foreign, ergo San Telmo.

Then the parentals and I set about getting to know the city. I was nervous because it was the first time all hopes for verbal communication were resting on my shoulders. Previously I had been sure to drag poor Isela with me wherever I went, just in case. 

We visited La Casa Rosada, the Argentine equivalent of the White House...


Gawked at some nifty antiques at the weekly market in San Telmo... (I've never lamented not having my own house to decorate as much as I did on this trip to Argentina)

We even met an icon!
Ladies and germs, meet Mafalda. Mafalda is a beloved magazine/newspaper cartoon strip character known for her sass and her insightful and expository questions regarding the state of the world. She's not exactly political but she certainly depicts a point of view. In my humble opinion she kicks @$$.
"Ok, and how does one put this on a soul?"

"Democracy: (def.) A government in which the public exerts sovereignty."
Mom: What are you playing kids?
Mafalda: Government!
Mom: Well okay, just don't make a mess!
Mafalda: Dont worry, we're not going to do absolutely anything.
Mafalda: But... why do I have to do it?
Mom: Because I ordered you to do it and I am your MOTHER!!
Mafalda: If it's a question of titles, I am your DAUGHTER!! And we took on these roles the same day, right?!!
The problem with the family of mankind is that everyone wants to be the father.
We'll be back with more on the parent's visit to Argentina/ Chile after this brief message from our sponsor...

Don't you just love 'em?
 P.S. I didn't proofread this. Sorry. 










No comments:

Post a Comment