Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chilean Dictionary

It's time for another round of chilean dictionary!

Entry #2: salirse salado
(pron. sal-eer-say sal-ado)
*def. to be expensive, to cost a lot

example: "Mi computadora Mac me salió super salado."

Translation: "Salado" in spanish normally means salty. I'm guessing this phrase comes from a time when salt was very valuable and used like currency. Literally you're saying something along the lines of "My computer took all my salt," except in Spanish the subject is never responsible so it's actually more like "My computer caused all my salt to leave me."

I'm entertained by this. Don't ask me why.

P.S. Let's talk about this phenomenon of the subject never being responsible for a second...It's awesome. If you lose your keys in spanish, you say "Me olvidó mis llaves." So congratulations because you didn't really lose your keys! You're keys lost you! Hahaha! Brilliant!

Bye

1 comment: