Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Puerto Montt --> Puerto Natales

Well, hello again!

Today we pick back up in Puerto Montt. Puerto Montt is the city pretty much parallel latitudinally to Castro except that it's on the mainland. Like Castro, Puerto Montt is a very wet fishing town with the market to prove it.

Have a look. (Caution: dead fish pictures ahead)


I watched a guy slice and de-bone one of these salmon and all I could think was "I wanna do that!" Then I realized that I was excited about the idea of getting up at the crack of dawn to come to a stinky fish market and buy fresh fish from guys who eat lunch a 9:30am and that's when I realized that I think I need my own restaurant. You heard it here first. 







 And lastly...




I can't even tell you how glad you are that you cannot smell things through a computer right now. You are so glad, because this stuff WREAKS. What you see here is smoked, dried shellfish and seaweed. And the smell is so strong when I look at the pictures I can taste it. Ugh!


Puerto Montt is also home to a really great craft market where one can (and I did) buy various woven, leather, and wool products. Wool is huge in southern Chile and there are a lot of hand-made sweaters, socks, hats, and bags available in Puerto Montt. Alpaca fur clothing is also really popular. 


This is NOT an alpaca. This is a giant seal that was at the fish market searching for leftovers. 



1 comment: