Tuesday, December 11, 2012

GA-GA OOH LA LA


    



Betcha didn't know I was such a weirdo, did ya?

Here is the thing about Lady Gaga: You either get it, love it, and you're gulping the Kool-Aid through a sequined bedazzled straw– or you think she's weird and/or are frightened of her.

I, for one, am enamored. What follows is a brief explanation as to why. 

 In the first place, I have an affinity for sequins and make-up. (see above and Halloween post) and Gaga gives me an awesome excuse to play with them.

Secondly, there is a rhyme and a reason to what Lady Gaga does. A reason which I happen to believe in genuinely, and it is this: GaGa's gimmick with the costumes and the drama, as she claims, is all part of an effort to create a safe space for her fans. She strives to be the biggest freak in the room so that no matter how weird or marginalized one may feel there is always someone freakier to hang out with and help take the heat off.

The Lady spoke for herself about her mission on the Ellen show back in 2011:



I'm not saying I aspire to look like Boy George in my day-to-day, by any means, but I have always valued a look, an attitude, and/or an opinion that is a bit artistic. 

I would venture to guess that at times everyone feels like a bit of a pariah; a bit left of center. And whereas society might teach us to squash that part back into submission so as not to make others uncomfortable, Gaga challenges her fans to analyze and embrace those parts of us that "the mainstream" doesn't want to see. Every "weird" urge you've ever had is okay by Gaga. She is heavily invested in providing the safe atmosphere in which her fans can allow their freak flag to fly.

I think it's healthy to have a space in which you can paint your face like a corpse and/or don and attempt to strut in 8 inch heels, just to see if you can do it while not being judged. In the most basic of terms, Gaga creates an environment in which her fans can safely scratch whatever freaky itches they may have (so long as they're not hurting anyone). And I would venture to guess that the ability to do so contributes to a more emotionally stable, healthier population than if people were left itching in the first place. 

I had a great time at the concert. It was a huge moment for me to decide that I wanted to attend badly enough that I didn't care if anyone was willing to go with me. I was able to get my face back to normal, but I'll always be a little monster inside. 

¡Patas arriba! 
Paws up!

1 comment: