Friday, June 1, 2012

Furthering my point

To re-iterate why traveling is important to mastering a language allow me to provide the following example:

Yesterday I came home from a class presentation with mime make-up residue still on my face after having slept 2 and half hours the night before and my housemate offers this as a greeting:

"¡Chuta, weón! Por qué te ves tan asquerosco?"

Now, I've been speaking classroom Spanish for a long time. In that time I've learned many different ways to greet someone:

¡hola!
¡buenos diás!
¿que tal?
etc

but you'd be hard pressed to find a class that's gonna teach you "chuta, weón! por qué te ves tan asquerosco?" as a way to greet someone.

By the way, the polite translation of this greeting is:

"¡Jeez, dude! Why do you look so disgusting?"

Ah, well! At least they're not babying me because I'm a foreigner :)

1 comment: